Assist Operator with set-up and operation of production line or machinery to which the Assistant Operator is assigned, in accordance with the shop order and under the supervision of the Supervisor or direction of the Operator. Ensure for the safe and productive operation of assigned duties and responsibilities to manufacture a quality product and meet the goals of the corporation.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Job Classification: Hourly, full-time, non-exempt.
Reports To: Department Supervisor
Manufacture a quality material as specified by shop order for on time shipment.
Assist Operator in all functions of the Line Operator's job. Perform necessary tasks as directed by Operator.
Operate line or assigned area in absence of Operator.
Assist with all production and preventative maintenance tasks to ensure smooth operation of machinery. Accurately report daily operation and complete all related paperwork. Ensure production and labor information is accurately recorded for each shop order on a daily basis. Includes but not limited to barcode transactions, proper labeling and storage of product produced on line and cycle counts of material as needed.
Operate line to minimize wasted material without sacrifice of product quality goods; promote cost reduction.
Maintain neat/clean/safe work area to prevent injury or product contamination. Routinely clean equipment and tooling used in process (housekeeping).
Adheres to and uses safe work practices, following safety rules and regulations. Reports unsafe conditions or work practices to supervisor.
Responsible for quality and expediency of work.
Other responsibilities/duties as required or requested
Communicates regularly with others within limited areas of the organization for purpose of giving and receiving information closely related to work in progress.
Decision-making occurs on a limited basis and is based on clearly defined policies and procedures, established practices and explicit directions. Reviewed by Nonwoven Department Supervisor on a daily basis.
Can vary based on location: Extremely disagreeable heat levels and noise levels. Frequent exposure to chemicals/dyes. Exposure to various type of fiber. Wet areas. Factory environment. Extreme exposure to fiber dust in air.
Training/Education: High School/GED/4 year diploma.
Experience: One year experience in manufacturing, production, machine set-up and operation preferred(ex: Set-Up Person, Packer, Helper).
Other requirements: Good communication skills. Ability to use, understand and create written/mathematical materials related to the job. Ability to learn and follow directions. Confined space training. Hoist training
Production machines, supplies, and related equipment. Safety and personal protective equipment will vary dependent on assignment. Pen/pencil. Knife, scissors, hand truck, wrench, tape, tape measure, electric power truck, degreasing fluid (Trichloroethane III), Rake, oil can, grease gun, box stapler. Hoist.
- Physical demand will vary according to which machine/department assistant is assigned.
- Use of hand truck and hand jack: walking position, arm manipulation, some leg effort: 10 - 25 times a shift.
- Operate electric truck: keen vision, walking position, finger/arm manipulation: 5 to 20 times a shift.
- Remove rolls from take-up: 10 to 30 times a shift.
- Wrap and tag rolls: maneuver and control 150 - 350 lbs., hand/arm/shoulder manipulation, standing, pulling bag over, finger coordination: 10 to 30 times a shift.
- Monitor process and adjust settings: keen vision, eye/hand coordination: ongoing during shift.
- Routine line procedures: weight balance, climbing on machine, reaching up and out, walking from take-up to pay-off, keen vision to monitor process: ongoing during shift.
- Complete paperwork: keen vision, finger/hand manipulation in writing: ongoing during shift.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.