Assist Operator/Assistant Operator with set-up and operation of production line or machinery to which the Helper is assigned, in accordance with the shop order and under the supervision of the Supervisor or direction of the Operator or Assistant Operator. Ensure the safe, productive performance of assigned duties and responsibilities to manufacture a quality product and meet the goals of the corporation.
NATURE AND SCOPE
Job Classification: Hourly, full-time, non-exempt.
Reports To: Department Supervisor
Assist Operator/Assistant Operator in specific functions of the Line Operator's job. Perform necessary tasks as directed by Operator.
Assist Operator with loading/set-up and unloading/take-up of machine and monitoring process to ensure material meets the specifications of the shop order.
Assist/cover in other production areas as needed.
Operate line to minimize wasted material without sacrifice of product quality goods; promote cost reduction.
Maintain neat/clean/safe work area to prevent injury or product contamination. Routinely clean equipment and tooling used in process (housekeeping).
Adheres to and uses safe work practices, following safety rules and regulations. Reports unsafe conditions or work practices to supervisor.
Responsible for quality and expediency of work.
Other responsibilities/duties as required or requested
Communicates regularly with others within limited areas of the organization for purpose of giving and receiving information closely related to work in progress.
Decision-making occurs on a limited basis and is based on clearly defined policies and procedures, established practices and explicit directions. Reviewed by Department Supervisor on a daily basis.
Can vary based on location: Disagreeable heat levels. Disagreeable noise levels. Occasional exposure to chemicals/dyes/fumes. Exposure to various type of fibers. Extreme exposure to fiber dust in air. Wet areas. Factory environment: storage of chemicals and/or dyes in facility.
Training/Education: High School/GED/4 year diploma.
Experience: Previous experience in manufacturing, production machineset-up and operation preferred (ex: Set-Up Person, Helper, Packer).
Other requirements: Good communication skills. Ability to use, understand and create written/mathematical materials related to the job. Ability to learn and follow directions.
Production machines, supplies, and related equipment. Will vary dependent on assignment. Safety and personal protective equipment. Pen/pencil. Knife, scissors, hand truck, wrench.
- Physical demand will vary according to which machine/department helper is assigned.
- Set-up and take-up: hoist, eye/hand coordination, standing position, reaching out and up: 10 - 30 times a shift.
- Use of hand truck and hand jack: up to 500 lb. rolls/fiats, walking position, arm manipulation, some leg effort: 15 - 30 times a shift.
- Operate electric pallet truck: keen vision, walking pos ion, finger/arm manipulation: 10 - 20 times a shift.
- Wrap or tie-up product: hand/arm/shoulder manipulation, standing, reaching, finger coordination: 10 to 30 times a shift.
- Cut samples: eye/hand coordination, fine motor skills, scissor or hand saw: up to 20 times a shift.
- Routine line procedures: weight balance, climbing on machine, reaching up and out, walking from take-up to pay-off, keen vision to monitor process: ongoing during shift.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.